Monday, April 30

Part 1 Consilience Conference 2012: A lowly graduate student's notes

These posts will not be in any discernible order; nor will they resemble the order of presentations during the conference. They will merely reflect what I found profoundly interesting and what presentations sparked future research endeavors. These thoughts will be poorly cited and eventually as time permits, I will fill in citations as I move along.

With that being said, if it seems as though I think my thoughts are original or of my own, when in fact someone already went there...it's not plagiarism. Its my daily life. Someone. Already. Did. It. In that case, comment with a citation or two.


I must admit, I didn't grasp the gravity of her talk at first. Partially because I was upstairs getting as many snacks as possible into my purse (grad school scavenging 101) but once I became enthralled with her presentation on Rock Art, I immediately had some research studies come to mind.

She mentioned drawing and doodling expends resources, such as time and energy. It can be said that these behaviors are costly. I immediately gravitated towards Life History (LH) theory. (Well, again full disclosure, I can't get this paradigm out of my mind.)

Thought I would update: click here for Life History Theory overview


Individuals engaging in these drawing and doodling behaviors might be high K individuals, slow individuals, individuals who are not being bombarded by cues from their environment that their life could go up in smoke in a few seconds. Low K individuals shouldn't have time for drawing or doodling, they spend a good amount of time reproducing. High K individuals should consider these drawing and doodling times methods to increase their somatic existence.

However, one theory Dr. Dissanayake purported was individuals that engaged in dangerous cave drawing (which would draw attention from the noise and/or take away from daily activities) were adolescents or juveniles. There was a significant amount of risk in entering a dark scary cave and drawing dirty pictures of everyone else's Mom....

These individuals had to be fast, low K, high r. Previous research has linked fast individuals with engaging in risk taking behaviors, and graffiti-ing a cave would definitely fall under that list.

Naturally, my mind when to tattooing, graffiti-ing, and all other risk taking artification processes.

At the outset, it would seem as though individuals that had the time and the resources to engage in drawing, doodling, and rock art would be slow, high K individuals. However, by the end of the presentation, it might be the case that fast, low K individuals are the likely candidates to be engaging in these rock art behaviors.

Future studies might look to correlate risky artification processes with low K individuals, especially adolescent or juveniles (not implying the penal sentence they would serve...).

1 comment:

  1. Low K individuals shouldn't have time for drawing or doodling, they spend a good amount of time reproducing

    Found that funny

    ReplyDelete